V8 POWER FOR YOUR BMW - ON A BUDGET
* UPDATE January 18, 2016, we are still selling and shipping parts daily. Thank you! *
It's time to get some serious power under the hood of your BMW for less than you think. Not dyno-queen power - reliable, cheap, proven American V8 power.
videos located at http://www.youtube.com/user/E36V8 )
Power on a budgetThe BMW E30 has great suspension, big brakes, great weight distribution, and stiff chassis. However, increasing power on a BMW engine comes at great expense: Forced induction kits, expensive parts, "money shifts", and the ever-present "BMW markup". Don't worry, because we've come up with a way to gain power without busting your wallet - the Ford Mustang 5.0 is the perfect solution for maximum power on a minimum budget. It's cheap, powerful, and we make it easy to swap in your BMW. Our E30 5.0 conversion parts help you convert your car for less than you think.
You supply a 1980-92 BMW E30 318, 325, or M3, a Ford Mustang 5.0 engine, and the Mustang T5 manual transmission. We supply the motor mounts, transmission crossmember, and a conversion manual. You'll have to buy some bits and pieces to make it work, but we tell you exactly what you need and where to get it cheap.
What makes this engine swap budget-friendly?- The 5.0 is cheap & plentiful - you can get the whole drivetrain & ECU for less than $1,000
- 5.0 power upgrades are cheap and fun
- You can sell your BMW drivetrain for more than the 5.0 drivetrain!!!
- You can use Mustang shorty headers - turned backwards to miss the steering shaft
- You use the stock steering shaft - no custom steering shaft required
- You will use off-the-shelf parts to keep cost down
- You can even reuse a 325 exhaust!
5.0 Swap cost breakdownThe drivetrain cost is right about $1,000 for a running Explorer 5.0 engine (with accessories), Mustang T5 transmission, and parts to convert the Explorer EFI over to 87-93 Mustang EFI (including a Mustang camshaft, distributor, wiring, sensors, etc.) The conversion parts needed are about $1,400, and the exhaust/headers will probably run you $300-400. For a complete cost breakdown and a budget for your swap, click here to download a free planning guide.
Horsepower alternativesWhen you look at the costs of adding horsepower to the E30, it adds up quickly:
- BMW M50/M52/S50/S52 conversions start at $2,000
- E36 M3 engines cost upwards of $3,000
- Custom BMW camshafts start at $1,000
- Forced induction kits start at $7,000
- LS1 drivetrains cost $5,000 or more
- LS1 conversions cost $12,000 or more